Traffic Offense Representation
Skilled Lawyer in St. Petersburg & Tampa Bay
This section lists and describes some of the more common, non-DUI traffic offenses our clients face but is by no means an exhaustive list. If you have been arrested for driving under the influence of illegal drugs, prescription drugs, or alcohol, see the DUI section of our website. The Kilfin Law Firm, P.C. represents clients in all traffic related matters throughout the Tampa Bay area.
This section is divided into the following subsections:
- Careless and Reckless Driving
- Commercial Vehicles
- Driving on a Suspended License
- Fleeing and Eluding
- Leaving the Scene of an Accident
- Point System
In Florida, certain types of traffic violations, such as reckless driving, constitute criminal offenses, whereas others, such as careless driving or driving on a suspended license without knowledge, constitute non-criminal (or civil) infractions. In other states, such as Georgia, all traffic infractions (including speeding) are deemed criminal offenses. Sometimes, where a person is cited for a criminal offense, the state may be willing to amend the charge to a non-criminal traffic infraction if the underlying circumstances justify the amendment. For obvious reasons, this can be of tremendous benefit to an accused person.
You should be aware that your license may be revoked as a Habitual Traffic Offender if, within a five year period, you are convicted of any three (or more) of the following offenses:
- Voluntary or involuntary manslaughter resulting from the operation of a motor vehicle;
- Any felony in the commission of which a motor vehicle is used;
- Driving While License Suspended or Revoked;
- Failing to stop and render aid as required in the event of a motor vehicle crash resulting in the death or personal injury of another;
- Driving a commercial motor vehicle while your privilege to do so is disqualified;
- Fifteen convictions for moving traffic offenses for which points may be assessed.
If you are designated a Habitual Traffic Offender, your license will be suspended for a period of five years and there is no hardship eligibility for the first twelve months. Driving while your license has been suspended as a Habitual Traffic Offender is a third degree felony, punishable by up to five years in prison.
This section also outlines Florida's "Point System". For each conviction, the driver is assessed a certain number of points. The accumulation of points will result in the suspension of the person's driver's license, as follows:
- If the licensee accumulates twelve points within a twelve month period, the period of suspension shall be for not more than thirty days.
- If the licensee accumulates eighteen points within an eighteen month period, the suspension shall be for a period of not more than 18 months;
- If the licensee accumulates twenty four points within a thirty six month period, the suspension shall be for not more than one year.
Often, there is much that can be done to avoid the imposition of points and maintain a person's driving privilege where it may otherwise be suspended.
- Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
- DMV Florida
- Bureau of Administrative Reviews Contact Information
- Traffic School
Attorney Donald J. Kilfin has handled thousands of traffic related matters as a Pinellas county state prosecutor and a St. Petersburg criminal defense attorney and is very familiar with Florida's traffic laws. Mr. Kilfin can be reached seven days per week to discuss your matter. Evening and weekend appointments are always available.
If you have been cited for a traffic offense in St. Petersburg or the nearby communities, contact our offices before paying the fine or appearing in court.
Best of the best!
From the minute I spoke with Mr. Kilfin, I knew I was in the best hands for my situation. He is a complete professional; an ...Michelle
The light on my families darkest days
Swift action led to my brothers successful defense in 2and degree murder arrest, well spoken and sharp mind but also down to ...Jaroy
Aparte de eso, luego, será muy pertenecer a un test de personalidad cuesta sospechar. Ver teléfono... A mi me da la ...Teresa
Appreciative beyond words
Never have I been in a situation where I felt so helpless, but Mr. Kilfin changed that. He was kind, caring and considerate. ...Happy client
The Best of The Best. As loyal they come
Being from other State, and facing Two Felony Charges, ( over a stupid Cell phone ) I need someone that would have my back ...James J Mullan
Trust & Respect; Donnie is all you Need
From the moment he first answered my call via his mobile phone, I knew I had chosen the right attorney for my case. I had ...Richard M
A " Stellar Gentleman" that's the only way to describe Donnie Kilfin...
"Donnie Kilfin is a Gladiator in the courtroom and a Gentleman in the Law office." End of story.Matthew C,
Donnie is the Best!
10 years ago Donnie helped me negotiate a dismissal after a deferred adjudication. Over the past few months he's helped me ...DB